Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"We'll See ..."



I don't know what these 2 words mean in your house ... but it is an answer that I use daily ... usually more than once. If I'm honest, it means "No. But I don't really want to talk about it - so, I am banking that you will forget you even asked!" Is that horrible?

Here are some examples:
"Mom? Can we have dessert?" We'll see.
"Mom? Can I go to Jack's house?" We'll see.
"Mom? Can we go to the park tomorrow?" We'll see.
"Mom? Can I watch a movie before I go to bed?" We'll see.

You get the picture.

I like the fact that I can be non committal with that answer. But, I am sure it won't last much longer. I know that they are going to figure it out soon.

So, today I was thinking that I don't really want to be a 100% "We'll See" mom (not that I am 100% -- but, sometimes it feels like it).

Tuck got the beginnings of Pink eye yesterday. Thankfully, I had some $50 antibiotic drops left over .. and it's pretty much cleared up. But, I let him stay home from school today - even though he was probably ok to go. It was a "We'll See" answer last night ... and I decided that he wanted to stay home and I wanted to just have the day with him --- so, I let him sleep in.

While we were out, he asked me if we could go to the library. Ugh! I have a fine due at the library and I don't want to pay it ... "We'll See". The old voice says to me ... just go Heather! Pay the fine, pick out some books to read with your children .... --- so, we went to the library and had a great time picking out books.

Annie asked for a snack on the way home from ballet. And, if you don't know anytime there is food involved it is a power struggle for Annie and me. I offer this ... she wants that. No .... eeny, meeny ... she'll have this other thing ... Um ... no, she thinks she'll just have what I offered her at the beginning. This little routine gets VERY old for me ...so, my answer to her question? "We'll see". Well, we get home and I realized she was hungry. I got some little Valentine Malt Balls at the Fresh Market for the kids today ...so, when we got home- she got a few without even having to ask me.

So, I'm feeling pretty good that I went to the library today, spent some good time with Tuck, surprised Annie with a snack that I knew she'd love ..... I don't know how tomorrow will be ... but, today has been pretty darn fun.

We'll see......

2 comments:

Toom said...

Unfortunately, Heather has another kid to deal with sometimes.

Fortunately, "We'll see" has its advantages.

"Any chance there will be some naked time later?"

"We'll see."

:)

Anonymous said...

TMI.....

Heather's Dad
:-)