Thursday, January 3, 2008

January

I do love January. I know it is the freezing, dead cold of winter(today it was 17 degrees when I took Tuck to the bus). But, January to me means new beginnings. It means, cold nights at home when you try a new soup or a new recipe. It means that you have things to look forward to on the weekends like MLK weekend at the mountain house. It means that you PLAN things to do that you normally don't do (have the Gardners to ATL).

Of course, it means that you are watching what you are eating and trying to get more active. Yes, I fall into that category as well. I went to the gym last night (I try and go at least 3 times a week) - and all of the cardio machines were full when I got there. I can't remember it being like that since LAST January. Lucky for me, I found an empty one pretty quickly and was able to get my work out done.

It means that Christmas is over and it's time to DECLUTTER. I have decided that this year it is DECLUTTER year. Tommy and I decluttered our closet last week and took 5 bags of old clothes to Goodwill (just in time for the tax write off!). I am going to try and focus on the simple things this year. Things like ... my husband, spending more time playing games with the kids (played connect 4 last night with Tuck and Uno today with Annie), and being a better mom/wife/sister/friend/daughter. I am going to DECLUTTER my house as well. I want a place for everything and I want to know where everything is.... if it hasn't been used/seen for over a year - get it out. I have a bin right now to take to a consignment store (Annie's bedding, etc...) - it's time to clean out for me ... and January always brings that to light for me. This year more than ever for some reason.

I am excited about my gift certificate to Hobby Lobby (thanks Adriane!!!!) and I am going to rehaul my den decor. I'll take some before and after pics ... but, I'm ready to make a change seeing as I have had the same things on the walls since we moved in 4 and a half years ago ... time for change .... declutter.

I'm also working on decluttering my mind. I want to focus on what the Lord has in store for me this year. What does he want to teach me? What do I need to learn about myself? What is he going to strip away this year? How will I grow? What fruits am I producing?

January doesn't have to be boring .... it's declutter time!

Happy New Year to you all!!!






3 comments:

Toom said...

I was thinking yesterday how exciting it is to be done with football and get to do many of the things I have been chomping at the bit to do.

It is tough for me now that school has started back. I look at that one hour a day where I am home and the kids are awake as GOLD! In that hour, here are the things I want/need to do.

1. Continue family prayer time and catechism with kids. This is always fun and should be top priority. As we're learning, time is so short with them and you can sense the world creeping in taking over more and more of our influence every day.

2. Play games! Always favorite for me. I'm just glad our kids are having fun learning and can actually play some now. Clue, Stratego, Chinese Checkers, Playstation, Uno, Connect 4 ... I want to teach Tucker chess this winter. Nothing provides as much laughter as playing Old Maid with Annie.

3. Watch Star Wars. we've started this, but with such limited time, it is tough!

4. Get outside. Not just because I need to but to instill this habitually in children so that they aren't complete couch potatoes during the cold season.

5. Read books. We have already read some classics, Stuart Little, Charlotte's Web, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. For anyone reading this, EB White is a masterful writer - he somehow uses beautiful sophisticated language in childrens' books and it works like nothing I've seen.

That's only some of it ... there is life after college football, I shared a story that Billy Armistead used to say to me, "Son, I learned awhile back, you can't live your life waiting for the next football season to come around." Still ... Tuck and I were saying, we can't wait until August rolls around and our beloved Dawgs take the field again!

ers said...

i love your sweet blog. all these new year resolution blogs make me look at january in a different light,and they have encouraged me to write some things down that i want to do differently.
keep the cute pictures coming.i love u and miss you. see you soon.

Anonymous said...

Hey!! I love your blog and love your "declutter" ideas. Boy do I need to do that as well. Love you and miss you, Rebecca