Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Why? Why? Why?

Before you start this post, you must know that I am PMSing. There are certain days of the month where I am not fun to be around ... AT ALL. And, I'm afraid today is one of those days, unfortunately.


As the mother of 2 small children, I have questions. I get questions constantly, but I have questions too.


Here are a few questions that have come up recently that I thought I'd share:


1. Annie: Mom? What is this called? [Annie is rubbing the part of my face that is directly under my nose - the top of my lip, just under my nose]


2. Mom: Tuck! Today is your 100th day of school! That is so fun!!!
Annie: Tuck! Lucky! You are so lucky!
Tucker: Annie. There is no such thing as lucky (oh ... what a theological 6 year old)
Annie: Mom? What does 'lucky' mean? [6:45am on the way to take tuck to the bus]
Mom: Fortunate
Annie: What does fortunate mean?
Mom: Blessed - good things are happening to you.
Annie: Is that what 'lucky' means?
Mom: silent - give up - too tired


3. Tucker: Am I done? Mom, can I be done? Can I have dessert?


4. Tucker: Why are Sharpies permanent? Does that mean that it won't come off this counter?
Mom: Yes.
Tucker: Well, last time I got some on here - you got it off. So, does that mean it's not permanent?
5. Annie: Am I star student? Do I bring snacks? Do I have to return Benjamin Bunny? Will I ever see him again? Did I take him in the snow?
Mom: Yes.
Annie: No. I didn't take him in the snow, did I?
Mom: Yes you did Annie. I have pictures of you with the bunny in the snow.
Annie: No. I didn't take him in the snow. I don't renember (I meant to spell it like that).
Mom: Do you want to see the pictures? Didn't we just glue all the pictures to your poster for school?

So, those just a few of the questions that I have gotten in the past, um 12 hours. So, here is my list of questions for you ....


1. Why do my hormones make me INSANE for like 3 days of the month?

2. Why can't I just empty the dishwasher when it's done?

3. Why do I abhor putting clothes away?

4. Why do I crave food that isn't good for me?

5. What do I do with all the teeth that the toothfairy grabs from under Tuck's pillow? I mean, right now, they are in a baggie in my dresser marked "Tuck's Teeth" - but really, do I need to keep them? Will he one day want to see his baby teeth?

6. And, along those same lines ... why can't I throw away the positive pregnancy tests of both of my children? It totally grosses me (and Tommy) out that I have kept them ...but, the secret is out - I have them both. Why? Why am I keeping them? Do I need them to prove to myself that I was once pregnant and had 2 beautiful children? Isn't a life with these little blessings a daily reminder of that?


So, who gets to answer all my questions?????????????????????????


Here is a picture of sweet T with no front teeth. After the pulling last Friday night (he ended up begging me to pull it out b/c it was sticking STRAIGHT out) .... here is our conversation:


Mom: Let me see buddy! ....Oh Tuck! You look so darn cute with no teeth in the front!

Tuck: Mom. Don't say that I look cute - I don't look cute.

Mom: WHAT?!?!??! I could eat you up! Don't you know that everyone wants to lose both teeth together?? I mean... they even made up a song about it!! "All I want for Christmas ....."

Tuck: Mom. I look weird. I think it looks weird. And, I can't say my "S" sound.

Mom: Well, I don't think you look weird. And, you need those 2 teeth to make that "S" sound ... you will be able to when they grow back. I think you look handsome - lucky you have lost 4 teeth!!

Tuck: Mom. There's no such thing as luck (Tommy?? Did you teach him this?)



Oh the cycle ......

5 comments:

Leah said...

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! i am cracking up over here!! thanks for making my day...hope your day is better. :-)

MindyMac said...

Ok, 3rd time I've tried to leave a comment.....Heather, I am so with you on the dishwasher....HATE IT! And I have all 3 pregnancy tests! Can't pitch them no matter how disgusting they are! Glad to know I'm not the only one!

Toom said...

Wasn't me. I think there is such a thing as luck. When something good happens to one for no reason of one's own doing, that's good luck, though there may be a more accurate description. If I walk out the door and find $20, lucky me. If I walk out the door and get hit by a car, unlucky me.

Anonymous said...

I must admit the luck thing is coming from "The Lovely Levy Ladies". A little while ago I was driving carpool and listening to the conversation in the back of the Suburban. I didn't hear the whole conversation, but I did hear Tucker say, "Aw-man, that isn't fair; you are so lucky!" To which my girls replied, "There's no such thing as luck." Scott and I have taught our kiddos that there is no such thing as luck or coincedence because we believe God has ordained everything to happen for a reason. Therefore, luck doesn't get to take the glory or the blame. I love to hear them talk and question...what a blessing to watch them learn and try to understand life!! Love, Gretchen :-)

Toom said...

The fact that luck is arbitrary in nature is probably why we, as believers, are opposed to the word, and we prefer "blessed" or "fortunate" because we realize there is nothing arbitrary nor meaningless in a correct view of God's sovereignty. In that sense, I agree.

But generally, when someone says "there's no such thing as luck", there is an implied correlation that everything is a result of one's own actions. (I know the Levy family doesn't imply this :) "We make our own luck" is something you might hear. And I reject that more strongly than I would the notion of luck due to that view being overly man-centric.

Those things that happen to us which we have no control over may be described as luck, but without the random overtones, so I emphasize what I said earlier, that there is probably a better word to describe our good or bad experiences over which we have no control.

But I defend the word as it is (and if you can't tell, I'm fascinated by the evolution of words - their meaning and what they can come to mean) deeply embedded in conversation and not generally in the strict, arbitrary, sense but rather having a loose meaning that connotes being fortunate. And hearing someone say "blessed" all the time is pretty irritating as in, "Aw man, you are so blessed!" Even though that would be more to the point, it has a sappy, contrived sound to it.

I would prefer, "You are so lucky and yet, I fully acknowledge God the Father and his hand in your favored circumstances." :)