Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

the next few entries will be about Mom's Day ... I got this sweet poem at T's Mother's Day breakfast at school yesterday. If you have 45 seconds, I want you to read it.

I have been showered with love the past couple of days from my children and their teachers. Honestly, I couldn't ask for more loving teachers for my children. Tommy and I are so so thankful for them ... all of them. Because I was a preschool teacher last year, I know how much work goes into all the things they do for us. So, if any of you have stumbled across this blog .. THANK YOU!

A few highlights from my time with my kiddos at their school:

1. They both did a 'do you know you mom' questionnare. Apparently, I am 30 ft. tall and 150 pounds. If I could wish for anything in the world - I would want another child. (Not sure if T knows me that well) T loves me because 'she takes care of me'. A.C. knows that my favorite sport is Tennis, my favorite food is Mexican (both kids got this right!). She thinks that my favorite flower is a daisy (nope, just named our first dog that), and she thinks my favorite song is a song from the movie Enchanted (nope, I just begrudgingly listen to it everytime we are in the car) ... and she thinks I love her "That Much" (arms stretched out as far as possible).

2. I was served by both of my children - breakfast by one and lunch by another - yum!

3. My kids are proud to have a parent with them at school. I concentrated on the look on their faces when I arrived. Both broke out into smiles that were all the way across their face - in a position that doesn't always get accolades - this tells me a lot.

So, I'm priviledged to me a mom. I pray that if you read this and you want to be a mom -- I pray that you will get to experience the joys and the hard times of parenting. I love my kids, I love that they love me. I am just holding on to this time when I am 'cool' and trying to stay away from the thoughts that one day .. it's not going to be cool to sit in my lap at school functions, to kiss me bye in front of their friends .. or possible to be around AT ALL!!!! By the way, when A.C. was asked .. "why is your mom cool?" -- her answer was "she plays games with me, and she's very cool because she shuffles them and how does she do that?"

I love that.
So, I'm off to find pants that fit a 30 foot person.

Read the poem ...it's a good one.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!


You were six months old and full of fun.
With a blink of my eye, you were suddenly one.
There were so many things we were going to do,
But I turned my head and you turned two.
At two you were dependent on me,
But independence took over when you turned three.
Your third birthday, another year I tried to ignore,
But when I lit the candles, there weren't three, but four.

Four was the year that you really strived.



why look at you now, you're already five.



Now you are ready for books and for rules.



This is the year that you go to school.






The big day came, you were anxious to go.



We walked to the bus, going oh ..so ... slow.



As you climbed aboard and waved goodbye,



I felt a lump in my throat and tears stung my eyes.






Time goes so fast, it's hard to believe



That just yesterday, you were home here with me.



And tomorrow when the bus brings you home



And you jump to the ground,



You'll be wearing your cap and graduation gown.



So, I'm holding on to the moments as hard as I can,



Because the next time I look, I'll be seeing a man.





A.C. at our lunch together (this is the picture that tells why I am so cool.)


T made the AllStar team for baseball!

3 comments:

Cstargel said...

Okay -That poem made me cry! I already feel it's going to fast!!! I'm about to post my mother's day goody so check it out! Have a great day tomorrow! You are a wonderful mom!

kristen said...

What a sweet poem! Loved it! Have a wonderful Mother's Day!

MindyMac said...

Sweet poem....brought tears to my eyes!!! I'm not ready for that yet! Happy Mother's Day!