Thursday, June 19, 2008

goals, shins, and disapointment

Few people know. I didn't want to tell a whole bunch of people because #1) I didn't want to fail too many people if I didn't actually do it. #2) I wanted this to be a personal goal attained without a lot of fanfare -- that could come after the victory.
On January 10th, I began training for my first triathalon.



On April 24th, I reached my goal of biking 22 miles. During that week, I also swam my 1/4 mile in 12 minutes and actually ran my 3 miles without stopping. According to the training schedule, I was in good enough shape to actually DO the triathalon, so we (me and my work out partner) concentrated on biking hills and running hills. It was painful. It was awful. But, I felt good knowing that I was doing something that I had set out to do. I was excited.

In the middle of May during a girl's trip to the beach, I was on a street run one morning with a few friends. I felt some strange feelings in my shin. The pain got worse, so I figured I should stop and walk a bit. Upon walking, the pain was worse - so, I continued to run. After I had tears running down my face, I decided that this wasn't smart. I took off my shoes (as if that would help) - and walked home on the beach. (again, not sure if this was the smart thing to do in the soft sand - but I just wanted to get home ... fast). I wasn't sure if I had ever felt that sort of pain in my shins - I have had shin splints in the past.

I endured. I took the weekend off - and started again on Monday. Biking ... and swimming. Avoiding the fact that my shins felt like they had been ripped from the bone. Funny thing - that's exactly what has been happening.





Taking into the equation that I play tennis 3 to 4 times a week - I had a decision to make. The doc said - tennis? or running? What is your choice. Based on the fact that running has always been my own personal HELL - that was a no brainer for me.

The last little tidbit that if I injured my shin too much more .. I could end up with lifelong injuries. There is evidence of a few slight stress fractures on my shin ... not good. So, I had to make the really hard decision - quit the training for the triathlon. {hitting 'publish on this blog is one of the hardest things ...an admission of a goal unattained and a sense of failing myself}
So, I'm disapointed. I trained. I sweated. I got sick from the wet hair in 25 degree weather ... going from the gym to the car. I conquered fears and reached goals. The main goal, however, was not attained. I will not finish the triathlon on June 29th. But, I'll be there ... cheering on my friends. My work out buddies -- I want to watch them fulfill their dream.
Now, we are talking about doing a 'relay' type triathlon where I could do the swim part for a group and we would all finish together at the finish line .... i'll let you know.

6 comments:

MindyMac said...

Heather, I'm so sorry! What a disappointment! All that work! But you did not fail! You accomplished everything you needed to in order to do a triatholon! You just don't actually get to enter it! The fact that you can physically perform the things it takes to do one is AMAZING!

kristen said...

You absolutely did NOT fail yourself! I am in awe of what all you accomplished. I thought I was doing a good job just exercising a few days a week. WOW!!! I am so impressed and you should be too! You did something that people (like me) sit back and say "I wish I could do that!" Hold your head high and thanks for sharing your feelings, as hard as it was.

Cstargel said...

Heather! It's crazy that you sent this out because just the other night I mentioned to Robby "I haven't heard Heather say anything about her triathlon lately"...I was wondering what was going on! I'm so sorry to hear about your shins and definitely wouldn't want you to have permanent injury! But you know how hard you've worked and I'm so proud of you! YOU BETTER BE PROUD OF YOURSELF!!!! I couldn't run three miles without stopping if my life depended on it (and that's NOT being pregnant!) much less the swim and bike! Love you!

ers said...

i am going to be there if you are in it in any way, so let us know. it is still on my calendar. miss you. lv's. hey did you change supper club, i talked to katrina and she was in. let us know.

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather! I am so sorry about your leg. That really stinks. You should still be very proud of yourself! You have done than many are ever brave enough to attempt!

Your little ones are just adorable!

Take Care!
Jennie

paige said...

oh boo hiss....
bummer on the shins.
however. YOU GO GIRL!
that is still awesome that you trained hard & did what you did.
no failure in that, none at all.
& after you heal you'll just pick back up where you left off.
( do you have monogrammed workout clothes?-wink!)
i'm so impressed
no tears ok!
xo