Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"I Don't Like You"

My sweet sister was kind enough to watch both of my children on her busiest day of the week yesterday. She had 2 ballet practices, bible study training, carpool (for 2 of her 3 children), and all the while ... she had my two. THANK YOU GETCHIE! I owe you big time.

The funniest story I have heard in a while happened while Annie was at Madelyn's ballet practice. Apparently, there were a lot of little girls all dressed in their ballet uniforms in the hallway. One little 5 year old girl approached my Annie and says to her "You don't know how to do ballet" (Annie was not dressed for ballet).

For those of you who know Annie, you know that this isn't going to sit well with her. She DOES know ballet and knows it very well. In fact, she knows everything well - let's face it, in her mind, there is nothing that she doesn't know. Afterall, she's 3 and a half!

So, Annie looks at her and says "Oh .. yes I do know how to do ballet. I do ballet!"

At this point I can just imagine the stares from Annie to this little 5 year old pip squeak who has offended the ballerina of ballerinas who is my daughter.

Fast forward 5 minutes.....


Gretchen sees the little perpetrator crying to her mother. Gretch asks Madelyn and Annie to "Come here!" and tell her what happened. Madelyn informs Gretchen that Annie has told the little girl ... "I don't like you".

Apparently, the little girl called my big girl a "Baby".

Bad Idea. She is a big girl and don't you forget it.

So, here is the moral to the story:
1. If you are a mother and your daughter is saying nasty things to another person (and you are sitting right there) - intervene. Don't let your child be a brat.
2. Don't tell your child, "Sweetie, next time, just walk away. Just look at her and walk away" ... if she is up against a wall. When I said that to Annie she almost broke out into tears and said ... "Mommy! She was in front of me! And my back was against a wall!!!!! I couldn't walk away"
3. Don't under any circumstances call my sweet Annie a baby who can't do ballet.

Sweet thing ... today I'll take a picture of her in her ballet outfit so you can see just what a pro she is at ballet!