Friday, February 15, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Sorry that I have been MIA the past week or so. Sickness was RAMPANT in my house as Annie ended up with the same diagnoses as me! I am back now though .... so, visit regularly (my 3 visitors!)

This week I went back to my old neighborhood where I grew up. My parents moved out of this house 2 years ago, and I haven't been back since the last time I pulled out of the driveway with my old trophies, yearbooks, photos, etc .... packed up for the future.


It was so strange to go back there. As I drove down the street, I tried to remember that this used to be SO familiar. This used to be the way I drove EVERY SINGLE DAY! But, now it looked different. It wasn't familiar anymore .... it was strangely unfamiliar.


As I approached our house, I almost couldn't look. As strange as it felt, I was afraid that it was going to look different, that I wasn't going to like what I saw, that maybe the new owners would see me staring at the house. But, I took a good look and realized I was holding my breath. They pull up the 2" blinds now that my mom always had down. They have put some window treatments in the dining room that I can see thru the window. As I neared the side of the house, I could see strollers (the new owners have 4 kids - one set of triplets!). I saw baby toys, I saw a colored anirondak chair in the backyard, I saw what looked like a crib in my oldest sister's room window.

It made an impression on me. How can something that used to be my 'normal' now be strange to me? I can't explain the feeling anymore than that.

I wish that at this point I could show you a picture of this house that holds most of my childhood memories. But, I can't find one that I can enter. I will go back soon and take a picture to keep here as a reminder. Hopefully, the new owners won't care that I am taking a picture out of my car window.

I could look at each window and picture perfectly how it all looked. The saddest thing was the realization that it didn't look like that anymore. I just hope that the new owners are making the kind of memories that we made while the Ohly clan was there. It was a great house ... and I do miss it.

Here is a photo of someone's house ... just because it looks like a house filled with good memories. And ... it gave me a warm feeling when I saw it in Southern Living.

Happy Friday!!!! Annie is on the mend .... and I am finally 100%.


3 comments:

Cstargel said...

Oh heather...I know how you feel all too well - 4100 Shawnee Lane definitely makes me sad when I drive by - It's time to fill our own homes now with wonderful memories for OUR little ones!

...and baby makes FIVE said...

What fun it is to do dowm memeory lane!!

Rox said...

Well, you have 4 visitors NOW!!! I am so glad that you have a blog and I know how to find you!!! How cool is this? Please come back and visit mine too anytime! Dig around and check out some of the pics of the kids.

Much Love,
Rox