maybe it's the Tucker, Georgia roots.
maybe it's the UGA education (hee!)
maybe it's the rush he gets from being different.
maybe he likes to irritate me.
i'm not sure why he says the things he says, but i wanted to let the blogger world into some of the things that i deal with here at the heaton home. tell me what you think about them.
1. How do you say the plural of the word biscuit? If you wanted 2 of these light, fluffy delicacies ... wouldn't you say ... "Can I please have 2 biscuits??"
No. No. No. Not my hubby. He debated with me on a Christmas Eve (I think?) one year that it was entirely proper to say "Can I please have 2 biscuit?" ... COME BACK ON THAT? That just sounds like a redneck to me who doesn't know how to talk! So, after a trip to the shelf for good old Webster ... he was right. Now, he and his dad (love you Pops!) love love love to irritate me with the 'biscuit' use.
2. You know the delicious pink fish that is just yum? You would say it is Salmon. Well, my husband LOVES to irritate me in public by calling it SAL-Mon. Again, sounds like a backwoods person who never learned the correct way to speak ... but, he doesn't care. He says it anyway. Even to waitresses ... who have been known to just stare at him blankly .... and wait for me to translate for the boy.
3. While playing Scrabble with my family at the mountain house ... Tommy showed his .... self... by having to prove that any VERB can be made a NOUN by adding an "er" to it. Hence, we got into a year long discussion about how weird it was that Tommy added the word "hoper" to the scrabble board .... again, back to Webster to find it says "one who hopes". He was right ... but, I'm sorry, that is just a weird word.
4. Tonight we came up with lucky #4. I sit down to read my daily blogs before I head to the gym and he hits me with this one ....
T: What is the plural of "mouse"?
H: Mice (is he serious?)
T: Then, why don't we call the plural of house ... hice?
H: Staring at him like the waitress ... blank stare. Babe, I'm not sure.
T: Really! Like we have lived in 3 hice since we've been married.
H:I'm not sure. (blank stare)
T: I thought about it b/c I'm looking thru our DVR and wondering if you have watched these 'hice'.
H: No. I haven't. I haven't really had time to watch them.
T: Can I delete the 2 hice?
H: Yes.
T: You aren't going to watch them?
H: Um ..... I would love to watch them. But, I don't want to hear you say "hice" anymore.
T: You know what it means when I come up with something like this that I like .....
H: oh no. more apologies to people. more explanations ahead. more eyes rolled. more blank stares. Yes.
T: I'm going to say it.
Lovely.
**Be ready for some comments about my education (Auburn) ... or something like that. Head on over to the comments, b/c when he reads this ... he won't be able to resist.
4 comments:
Heather, I can sympathize a little. It's like Scotty insisting we never landed on the moon, becasue basically he likes to get a rise out of people. Must be something they taught them at UGA...
That troublesome thing they taught us at UGA? Its called critical thinking.
Enjoyed the post, despite it being rife with errors.
"maybe it's the Tucker, Georgia roots." - some truth to that. I like colloquialisms and wish I had done a better job cataloguing them in my mind over the years when I have run into them. I especially enjoy the practice of referring to proper places with 'the' in front of them. As in "The Kroger has beans on sale" or "Let's run up to the Wal-Mark".
maybe it's the rush he gets from being different. - yes
maybe he likes to irritate me. - probably some of this too.
1. From Webster's: Main Entry: bis·cuit Function: noun Inflected Form(s): plural biscuits also biscuit Etymology: Middle English bisquite, from Anglo-French besquit, from (pain) besquit twice-cooked bread Date: 14th century
1 a: any of various hard or crisp dry baked products: as (1)British : cracker 4 (2)British : cookie b: a small quick bread made from dough that has been rolled out and cut or dropped from a spoon2: earthenware or porcelain after the first firing and before glazing3 a: a light grayish-yellowish brown b: a grayish yellow
— bis·cuity \ adjective
It's sort of like ordering tea. You would say, "We'll have 2 teas" or "We'll both have (some) tea". Either is OK. I wouldn't say "Can I please have 2 biscuit" as Heather insinuated, though I might say, "I'd love biscuit" or "I could go for some biscuit" or "I would enjoy (units of) biscuits".
And it was Thanksgiving, not Christmas.
2. Or compare biscuit to salmon. "Hey, look at those salmon over there!" "I'd like 2 orders of salmon please." "Look at the salmon (or salmons) we caught."
Though I admit, I'm wrong on the pronunciation. That shouldn't stop me from leading the crusade against it. I hate the word! I think it would be a fine word if you pronounced the 'L' but as it stands, I don't like it.
3. Here's the thing: you challenge me in Scrabble, you go down. And if something can be done (verb) then someone or something can do it! Not just run:runner but also chew:chewer. Granted there are some spelling anomalies but you get the idea.
4. Love "Hice" "Man, I can't believe all the beautiful hice in this area."
Also: I hate the way most pronounce the regular /a/ vowel. This started as a young child when people would say "Han" Solo and say it with a real nasally /a/ with the mouth being wide rather than long. Much prefer the /a/ as in "ah".
I admit I pronounce "amateur" funny but it bothers me how these letters can just run amuck. I like pronouncing it /am-a-too-er/ rather than /am-a-cher/.
Oh. My. Word. Literally! And I thought being married to the other side had its issues (University of Alabama)...Geesh. At least it's not UGA!! Hahaha.
That was a fun post and comment..Hey to T.!
WAR EAGLE!
Love ya,
Roxanne
nathan and i are dying laughing...
hice? ...that is hilarious!!
Post a Comment