Monday, April 28, 2008

Where's the Baby Store?

Ok, so today I learned that maybe it is too early to let my 4 year old darling watch Discovery Channel's Baby Stories.

As we were waiting to go pick up T, I thought .. "Hey! This is great! It's not Noggin, it's not Disney, it's not PBS ... it's something educational ... and my girl L-O-V-E-S babies!"

Well, as we are watching .. the lady goes in for a c-section. A.C. is just fine with everything. And, I tell her ... "A.C. that is what mommy had when I had you! This is what it is like before they get the baby out of your tummy!" [I'm so excited for her to see this - they aren't showing blood or anything, just a lady in the O.R.]

BIG MISTAKE...

A.C. is not impressed with all the machines. Most importantly, the 'tube in her nose' - oxygen. And, she declares to me ... "Mom, I don't want to have babies." I look at her like she has 4 heads and tell her that it doesn't hurt! (well ....) and that people have babies all the time and if it hurt that bad, people may not have them!

The fear of seeing the lady turns into TEARS. Tears streaming down the face. I pause the show - I am thinking this is time for a major uninterupted talk about having babies and how wonderful it is ... a new life, a sweet baby, not too much pain b/c they give you 'meddy' to help you not have ANY pain (well.... a little, but don't tell her).

She calms down a little and then thru tears in her eyes says the most precious thing I have ever heard in my life .... "Mom? I want to be a mommy. How can I be a mommy without having a baby in my tummy?"
BINGO!

I got to explain adoption to her. The only thing she can link that to is the movie Annie .... and that is how we went about it. Except instead of 7/8 year olds ... there are babies and they are called 'orphanages'.


She thought about it for a while and then asked me the most thoughtful question I have heard come out of her mouth ....
"Mommy, where's the baby store?"

Tuck, Annie, and A.J. at our house on Saturday night.

6 comments:

hayden said...

awwwww, that's so cute!

MindyMac said...

That is precious Heather....write it down in a letter and give it to her when she is having babies one day! Too cute!

Cstargel said...

Just was watching the baby story over here yesterday as well and the lady started pushing (person on each side holding her legs back) and I thought I'd better turn it right now or I'm about to have 20 questions from Lawson like the one "Mommy do babies come out of your butt?" Wasn't in the mood....

ers said...

precious girl. next time i am going to the baby store, b/c i am with annie on the no pain thing.good thing she did not ask me any questions.
i love the pic. tuck and aj have the same smile!
yes, i beat you on the tag b/c i had work yesterday and did not really want to be at work. i would have tagged you anyway, so i am so glad tays did.
love you aqnd thank you again for a great dinner that you did too much on for little adam and i. we loved being with you. erin

TMB said...

so sweet!! i love this idea of a baby store! while being pregnant is exciting, it is hard as is delivering the baby. i could be all about a baby store!! ;)

love the picture, so cute!

kristen said...

That is great! Sounds just like something that would have come out of my AC's mouth!