Tuesday, June 30, 2009

the Wind and the Rain

One of my favorite memories of a Christmas Eve spent with family was of a little cousin singing He's got the Whole World in His Hands. It was so precious ... and growing up with that song in Sunday School - I never really thought about it as I have over the past months.


6 months.... if you had asked me 6 months ago #1 if I would be where I am right now, I have to tell you - I would have NEVER guessed it.


#1 - I wasn't sure where I would be in my marriage. We have made some big changes - positive changes, necessary changes. In a world where people tell you to give up - we said "no". We'll sweat, we'll cry, we'll tough it out ... NO. We won't give up. We don't give up.

#2 - I had no idea that we would still be facing unemployment. God is GOOD - and we know that. He has a plan -- and we know that. Getting the HEAD around it with the HEART at the same time -- that's a little more of a struggle. He has given Tommy an opportunity. Not in the traditional bringing home a salary type of job - but, something that he can do -- he can do this - and he knows it. It's just different ... but God knew that - He has a plan. Who knows what is in store here for him ... but we are ready.

I cannot tell you how many times I prayed this prayer:

"Lord! IF YOU WILL JUST GIVE TOMMY A JOB - I PROMISE I WILL GIVE YOU ALL THE GLORY! I PROMISE I WILL SHOUT IT FROM THE MOUNTAIN TOPS!"




So, is it the traditional job we were hoping for? Nope.

Is it a job that has the opportunity to provide for our family? Yep.

Does it get Tommy back out there? In the marketplace? Doing what he does best? Yep.

So, we are thankful. And, it is all because of the Lord. He doesn't deserve to be offered this position anymore than we deserve to be walking around this earth everyday. He never promised victories without fighting. He never promised the cross would not get heavy. He only promised he would show up -- and take us thru the fire again. (these ideas from an awesome song that Tommy has sung ... and I love the words)

If you look at a hand .. it's not SMOOTH. It has cracks, crevices ... and if He truly has the whole world IN HIS HAND ... there are going to be valleys. There are going to be bends in the road. There are going to be bad times. But, the only way to make it to the top of a mountain ... is to climb it.

So, here we go. One step at a time. One foot in front of the other. There is going to be sweat. There is going to be hard work. We are ready - Tommy is ready.

We have started the climb in our personal lives ... and now in the professional arena - we are ready to start. Did the Lord tell us to 'wait' so that we could begin the climb personally before we started professionally? I may never know -- but, I'm thankful regardless.

And, it's all because of HIM - we know that. We are thankful. We are encouraged.

We are ready.

11 comments:

Mary Hudgins Balicki said...

This is such a beautiful display of your heart. A heart that I have grown to adore. Thank you for letting your life be a testimony to us, to me. Heaven knows where my own marriage would be if it weren't for you and your encouragement.
I'm anxious to know more about Tommy's new job. As always, you guys are in my prayers.
Much love!!
MB

MindyMac said...

Love it Heather...just love it. Love you, and, um, I need more DETAILS please! Email me or something!

paige said...

that's fantastic!!
honestly i was just talking to dan about you two last night &praying for you before i turned in.

i was going to txt you from modicas while i ate my strawberry cream cheese croissant only to realize that i had forgotten my phone last week

mwah

kpb said...

Praise the Lord~! He is good, all the time :)

...and baby makes FIVE said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rox said...

YeeHaw!! I am so tickled... HE ALWAYS provides... Tommy is so in my prayers...

Cstargel said...

We are SO PROUD OF YOU!!!! You are such an influence to me to be patient and wait on the Lord. Thank you my friend! Love y'all!

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Heather, your words are beautiful and pleasing to the Lord, I am sure of that! He knows the plans He has for you, plans to give you hope and a future. Lily/Linda

ers said...

preach it sista!
i love you and miss you. and think of you often. smooch.

CKBE said...

What is it?? What is Tommy going to be doing? I am so excited for y'all! PRAISE GOD!

Me on Metatrophin said...

So glad things are moving forward for you. Hang in there.