Thursday, December 4, 2008

Anticipation



There is something about anticipation that I don't like. However, there are times when anticipation is better than the actual thing. For example, my favorite night of the week is Thursday – anticipating the start of the weekend. I love to anticipate a vacation – thinking about what we will do, eat, see … once I am on the vacation – I'm almost sad that it has started b/c now it is closer to ending. Ok, the bad anticipation … the most vivid example I can give you is the stomach bug. When someone in my family gets it – fine, we deal with it. But, the anticipation that someone ELSE in my family is most likely going to get it – that is the worst. When is it going to happen? Are we going to be in the car? Are the kids going to be at school? Is it going to be in the middle of the night? Just let it come and I'll deal with it … but it's the anticipation of WHEN it is going to happen – I can't deal with it.


So, ever since June, I have known that my sweet husband's job at the bank was shaky. Not for anything that he did or didn't do, but just b/c of the growing problem in the economy and the strict red tape of trying to get a loan passed. Every Friday I had a tiny nagging feeling like maybe this was going to be the day. Every end of the month I thought … is this it? Are they going to do away with him this time? Each time, he made it thru.


He now knows that Monday will be his last day at the bank. His boss has been the most considerate person in this whole process. They are good friends and in some ways, the boss is probably hating this worse than Tommy. We have processed this. We have talked about the future. Tommy has worked tirelessly to contact people, go on interviews, call people, send out his resume. He is 100 steps ahead of someone else in his shoes who didn't know that this was coming …


So, in a way, I'm relieved. I know the day. We know the terms. There are no surprises. The anticipation is over –and now he can concentrate even more on finding a new job. There are some real positive things right now – some great leads. We are hopeful.



8 comments:

kpb said...

H- I am the exact same away about anticipating life And I am proud of your calm spirit . . . you are doing your family a huge service with this positive and non-anxious attitude.

TMB said...

agreed--anticipation is the worst!!

know that ya'll all be in our prayers!
xo

MindyMac said...

Still praying and anxiously awaiting with you...

Cstargel said...

Is today the last day? Praying for you and Tommy- can't wait to see you tomorrow night....looking like I'm going to be there!

kristen said...

Good for you staying positive. I am praying for y'all!

Rebekah said...

I think about and pray about this challenge daily. I think: God is up for it! Like you, I am excited about what is in store.

Love you guys!
Bek

Mack said...

Hey Heather - I found you through Erin's blog and just put the Gretchen/you sister thing together Friday night at CMC ( sad I know - I am a little behind the times) :) :)

Anyway, Sean had shared with me about Tommy's job and we are praying for you guys!! Love, Mandy

paige said...

hey sweetie...i am praying for you guys right now~~