Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Monograms and Bows


My sweet girl has had bows in her hair since she had 2 hairs. I wore bows until I graduated from college ....

I love my monogram on anything and everything. Anything that I can monogram - I do.

I got a monogramming machine after Annie was born b/c I knew that it would be more cost effective to do it myself rather than take everything of hers to get done. So, she has a lot of monogrammed things. Everything from bows to bags .... pretty much anything I can get my hoop around - it has an "A" on there.

The Easter bunny brought T and A.C. bathing suits. When I saw the suit at Target (you have probably seen it) - I couldn't resist it and all I could think of was how cute a big pink monogram would be on it. I didn't know if I could even DO a monogram on a bathing suit - but I figured for $8 - I'd try it.

It turned out SO cute.

This morning, I showed Annie what I had done with her new bathing suit and she asked me to take it off. She asked me to get some water and 'scratch it off please'. When I questioned her about that ... she says to me, "Everyone knows it's mine mom! Why do I have to have my name on it?!" ---

I guess she has a point.


But, I'm not giving up YET on the bows (she prefers headbands) and monograms -- she will just have to endure it for a few more years.

Would you love one? If you invite me to a birthday party for your little girl (or boy!) - she will probably get one this year. :-)


9 comments:

TMB said...

this little bathing suit is too cute!! and the monogram looks precious. i am SO into monogramming, but at $18 a pop i have to be choosy!!! :) i love their cute Easter pics too...

so speaking of monogramming: would it be worth it for me to invest in a sewing machine that monogram's? i am a rookie sewer, so would it be something i could easily learn? is a sewing machine that monogram's a lot more pricey than a non-monogramming one? you sound like the person to ask, and i know NOTHING about this sort of thing, as i'm sure you can tell!! but i would love to learn...

i love your post about friends. i'm right there with you...i know a lot of people, but true and faithful friends are few and far between.

Rox said...

Hey you, I love that! I love monograms too! Please answer the question above mine?!?! I want to know about a monogramming machine too. Post Annie's bows too. Are they just ribbons you have tied or are they 'fixed' bows you have tied? I am just full of questions today aren't I??

Love,
Rox

Rox said...

Hey you, I love that! I love monograms too! Please answer the question above mine?!?! I want to know about a monogramming machine too. Post Annie's bows too. Are they just ribbons you have tied or are they 'fixed' bows you have tied? I am just full of questions today aren't I??

Love,
Rox

Heather said...

Ok, here are the answers for you Rox and Tay:

1. You can buy sewing machines that do both - I happen to LOVE my sewing machine and a lot of times I am sewing while my monogram machine is embroidering - so, it didn't make sense for me to have one that does both.
2. I have a simple one that isn't too fancy. I think the machine itself costs like $700. I can ONLY do a monogram as big as 4x4, which is fine for clothing, towels, dish towels, bows, etc ... but, if you are looking for something to monogram 20 inch stuff in the middle of a duvet or a shower curtain - I have to hire out for that :)
3. The software that you have to use to actually GET the monograms to the machine costs around $250.
4. If you want specific fonts that don't come with your software - those usually run about $20 for a font.

All and all, I have probably invested about $1300 in my machine/software/thread/bobbins/etc....I have a LOT of thread now from doing it for so long.

Rox: I do bows, but have a friend who makes them much better than me. A.C. is into 'ribbons' now, so I have few with her name on them ...some with her monogram and tie them around her ponytail - but, now that I've cut her hair .... I have also bought cheap headbands and sewn 2 grosgain ribbons together and slid it on a headband -- and her name is on the top of it.

Tay: I cannot BELIEVE that you pay $18 per monogram. Um, where do you live? I charge $5 per monogram. It may be worth the gas to just get me your stuff!!!! Whoever you are going to ... is ripping you off big time. I almost choked on my coffee when I read that.

Let me know if you have more specific questions - I can get you the names of all my stuff and you can google.

HH

Heather said...

Ok, here are the answers for you Rox and Tay:

1. You can buy sewing machines that do both - I happen to LOVE my sewing machine and a lot of times I am sewing while my monogram machine is embroidering - so, it didn't make sense for me to have one that does both.
2. I have a simple one that isn't too fancy. I think the machine itself costs like $700. I can ONLY do a monogram as big as 4x4, which is fine for clothing, towels, dish towels, bows, etc ... but, if you are looking for something to monogram 20 inch stuff in the middle of a duvet or a shower curtain - I have to hire out for that :)
3. The software that you have to use to actually GET the monograms to the machine costs around $250.
4. If you want specific fonts that don't come with your software - those usually run about $20 for a font.

All and all, I have probably invested about $1300 in my machine/software/thread/bobbins/etc....I have a LOT of thread now from doing it for so long.

Rox: I do bows, but have a friend who makes them much better than me. A.C. is into 'ribbons' now, so I have few with her name on them ...some with her monogram and tie them around her ponytail - but, now that I've cut her hair .... I have also bought cheap headbands and sewn 2 grosgain ribbons together and slid it on a headband -- and her name is on the top of it.

Tay: I cannot BELIEVE that you pay $18 per monogram. Um, where do you live? I charge $5 per monogram. It may be worth the gas to just get me your stuff!!!! Whoever you are going to ... is ripping you off big time. I almost choked on my coffee when I read that.

Let me know if you have more specific questions - I can get you the names of all my stuff and you can google.

HH

...and baby makes FIVE said...

OKAY- that is too cute!!!!! I love it!!! Can I send you one for my neices????

TMB said...

thank you for all the sewing machine tips, and the sick tips!! i need to boil some vinegar!! :) also, i will be getting your number/email from erin. i thought $18 was a lot...it's in buckhead which, by itself, probably tacks on a good $10. i will be bringing you my stuff!!!

...AND i died laughing when i read this," i think the neighbors hear it when T throws up." oh man, yesterday we were in D's room, playing and having a good time....and all of the sudden i hear nathan, and honestly it sounded like he was dying. i run to the bottom of the steps and yell up, " do you need me to call an ambulance?" [haha, i am laughing right now...i am ridiculous!] he says,"no, i'm fine," i said, "well, it doesn't sound like it. but if you have to do that again can you at least turn the tub on so we don't have to hear it!" oh my gosh, i'm so mean! i don't mean to be. i had a lot more sympathy before we had dylan...now all i think about is her not getting sick!!

anyway, thanks for the tips and the laugh!! hope ya'll stay healthy!

Cstargel said...

Love, love, love the monogrammed bathing suit! Precious!

paige said...

that is hysterical!

are you kidding....OF COURSE its entirely too cute! i love slapping a monogram on everything too! had i have known 4 little girlies would be running around, i would have made the investment too.

have you seen the car monograms? a sweet blog reader sent me one....its pretty huge so i haven't made the move yet. plus i'm sort of a "no bumperstickers etc on my car" kinda girl...the monogram sorta leans towards that...but it too is darn cute!