Thursday, March 6, 2008
I have 2 questions ...
I have been thinking about 2 questions today and they are haunting me. Not because they are significant, but really because I can't answer these 2 questions today. (it may be the cold medicine because my sinuses are FULL right now ... thank you 32 degree weather to wake up ... and ending with 70 degrees after school - who knows what to put my children in to go to school?!??!)
WHO DO I MAKE THIS LUNCH FOR???
This morning, I am packing T's lunch and I'm struck with the ... am I more concerned of having T feel full at school? Or am I more concerned with how his teachers are going to think of me based on what I send to school? I used to teach preschool and, I know it's weird, but I thought less of moms who sent in Lunchables and all 'prepackaged' stuff. I thought that maybe they didn't care about their child's health as much as I do.
Well, I have gone down the Lunchable route b/c I know that T will eat it. But, I also stick in some extra fruit that day ... some more protein and maybe even a carrot or two (complete with Ranch dressing for dipping) just for good measure. Do I think that T eats the carrots? No. Do i think that he likes carrots? No.
Which, brings me back to the question .... who do I make this lunch for?
When I pray for things (more trivial things) ... do I sound like my daughter - the master demander?
I have begun to dread breakfast. I may have done this to myself ... but, I am in constant reminder mode to A that "This is not the Waffle House and you can have that after you finish this - we will NOT waste food today". Seriously. Every morning. I dread it.
Who else does she have to go to in order to have her needs met at this early age? Me! Who do I go to? Jesus!
So, today this was our conversation after dropping off T at baseball ....
A: If I am Gabriella or Hannah Montana for Halloween, I want to have their voice too.
(disclaimer: My child is not going to be either of these ... she is going to Princess Leah -- hee. hee.)
Me: (very dismissive) A, you can't have thier voice. That's impossible!
A: Mom. I don't like my voice. I want to have a voice like Gabriella. She has such a pretty voice!
(now I am realizing that she is SERIOUS!)
Me: A. God made you so special! You have the most beautiful little voice. I love to hear you talk ... when you were a baby, I couldn't wait to hear you talk. [ok, so she doesn't go 2 minutes without talking now ... but, that's another blog for another day]
A: But, I want a new voice. I know that YOU like my voice ... but I don't like my voice.
Me: (starting to worry that someone has made fun of her voice!) Who else doesn't like your voice? [please don't say "S", please don't say "S", please don't say "S"]
A: Just me ... you like my voice .. but, mom listen to it! It doesn't sound like yours. I like YOUR vioce.
Me: Well, A, when you get bigger, your voice will change a little bit - but for now you are stuck with your voice, ok. And, I love your voice - God made you special and gave you a sweet voice that is just for YOU! You are a beautiful singer and I love you very much.
A: contemplating in the backseat ..... Ok. Mom? Can we play "I spy".
PHEW!
So, is that what I sound like to God? Asking him questions that are so ridiculous ... but seem SO easy to me? Probably. I'm just glad that the Lord doesn't show his irritation to me the way that I start to show my children. Thank the Lord for GRACE! After a full day of demands .... I'm D-O-N-E!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment