I shy away from posting as much because sometimes I feel like I am just a negative Nelly all the time. I mean, 2009 hasn't been stellar for me personally -- and I'm still in a bit of a valley, but I feel like I'm crawling my way out/up - supernaturally, ONLY thru the help of my Savior. There is really no other explanation.I have had a relatively easy life. No major life happenings. I loved highschool. I loved college. I love my family. I married a year out of college to a sweet boy with charm and talent. We had our first child after 4 years of marriage. The hubby started grad school at some point - and that was a 'tough' time in our marriage because I rarely saw him and I had a newborn. We have moved houses 3 times ... and added an additional family member during the 3rd and final move. Hard times? Sure ... but not really hard.
This year has been tough. Tough times personally. Tough times as a couple. Learning times for me as a person. Learning how a sinful woman can be a godly wife to a sinful man. What does that look like? What does forgiveness look like? What does forgiveness look like in the face of anger? How do 2 horribly prideful people break down the walls and really LOVE each other, forgive each other, allow each other to be FREE in the marriage - free to love, live and feel accepted.
Why has it taken me 11 years to figure all of this out?!?!?!
well, i don't have it figured out.
I am beginning to 'get it' that I never will. But I am learning. Daily - sometimes moment by moment what it means to LOVE someone - as a verb.
Yes, I fell in love (noun). Yes, I have been head over heals IN love (noun). Yes, I have been blinded BY love (noun). But do I love? Do I make love a VERB in my marriage? What does that look like in a world where activities compete for your attention? What does that look like when other people come in between you and your spouse? What does that look like when you don't FEEL loved by the other person? What does that look like when you don't accept your partner for his/her faults and craziness? How do you (verb) LOVE your spouse when you are so concentrated on your own needs that you miss his/hers?
Even in the moments of anger, betrayal, exasperation, and hurt, we are called to pursue this person, to embrace them, and to grow toward them. - Fall Forward.....
As I take out my ice pick on a daily basis and continue the climb up the mountain of forgiveness ....
As I take out the hammer on a daily basis and crush my own Pride and bubbles of self-pity...
As I fall forward - toward my spouse - I am realizing that God has been faithful to me all these years and he is being faithful to me now.
I was reading the other day about clouds. Cause I like to throw little pity parties for myself - and sometimes I feel like this is how I look to the outside world ...
But, it's kinda fun to think of how a cloud must look from heaven.
I read in this devotional that "clouds are always moving ahead of God's cleansing wind". How awesome it must be to see the sun reflecting the clouds from Heaven ... just waiting for that breath of God to move it and to see the sun again.
We don't have a job here yet. But I see the clouds starting to part. I feel that they are separating. I know that one day - I am going to look back and see ...Why the clouds. Why the mountains. Why the hammer was needed.
I can already see his handiwork unfolding. His offer of forgiveness. His gift of reconciliation. His Love for me. ME! Why me? Oh - what grace is so freely offered and so little deserved.
I have NO idea why I felt compelled to write this all down tonight. But, I did. I hope that maybe someone out there in "blog world" needed it.
Take Heart .....
*****3 things have really helped me lately in all of these areas: (1)Staying in Love series by Andy Stanley - go to itunes and DOWNLOAD this right now. (2) Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas (3) sweet friendships with people like her and her. Friendships like these are rare - true, sweet, real friends.****


14 comments:
Thank you for your transparency, Heath! You've encouraged me to love in the "verb" sense today. I love you so much, am proud of you and continue to pray daily:) Hang in there.
tears for you friend
happy & sad ones...
i'm emailing you now!
i love you
loved every word. all SO true. we go to buckead church, and before i got to the end of your post i knew Andy had touched you too. nathan and i both have LOVED this series, and the way God has used it in our marriage.
hope all is well. you will be in my prayers, as you make your climb out of the valley. i trust He is and will continue to be there with you every step of the way!
xoxo
Heather, thanks for being so open with your life...
I, too, am learning so much from Andy's series! I can't tell you how many times I have been mentally chanting the mantra, "make love a verb, make love a verb"...when I am making coffee, and sandwiches, and picking up clothes off the floor and choosing to get up and greet him as he walks in the house (too name a few). I was talking with my mom about this series and she was sharing with me about rough times she and my dad had worked through and how she can look back now and see how NEVER GIVING UP is the key to making it last, but that we are so blessed to have this wisdom of making love a verb so early (relatively) in our marriages.
Love you!
Greer
You are precious! Thank you for sharing your heart and going there. Even if it's scary and a little bit outside our comfort zone.
You'll never know how much your encouragement has meant to me.
Loving my HH!!
MB
Thanks for sharing, Heather! What a blessing! This was very encouraging and I cannot wait to download that series!
Proud of you Heathie. Keep on keepin it real, because that is what it's all about. I love that and appreciate that so much, and I'm praying for you and thinking of you sweet friend!
Loving the Andy series right now - and loving you! Can't wait to spend some time with you next week at birthday club!
Thanks for sharing your heart.
Tara
Heather, your vulnerability and wisdom are amazing! I am so proud of you. By the way, we heard last week's sermon by Andy and it is so outstanding. Even old codgers can learn some good things. Blessings upon you, my friend. Linda/Lily
This series has been so great! We have loved it very much. This Sunday is the last installment. I think I will download it to burn also...
I love ya girl..
xoxo
Rox
Wow. Thanks so much for sharing, Heather. I know it's hard to put yourself out there like that, but I would dare say that most of us have been (or someday will be) in that place where you are. I'd love to pray for you - and with you sometime - because I have a feeling that our current views on life are pretty similar right now!
Heather,
I could have written your post. Marriage seems crazy unfair sometimes and sometimes just crazy. I am expecting to go up from here 2008/2009. May God bless you today as you forge ahead in love (verb.)
Loving (verb) you!
Bek
Post a Comment