Wednesday, November 26, 2008

To be Thankful or not to be Thankful.....

I'm embarrassed to even write this. I honestly had the thought in my mind ... I wish things were different so that I could actually be thankful on Thanksgiving.

As much as I realize the shallowness and ridiculousness of this comment - it's where I am right now.

We are in a scary place. The economy has had a direct effect on my husband and his job. Fearing cutbacks at the bank since June - our time has come.

It's not the worst thing in the world. But, it's not the best. It's not the worst news I could get - but it doesn't make me warm and fuzzy.

This week, I have been brought back HARD to reality by the death of a father of a sweet little boy in Kindergarten at T's school. What if I had to tell my children that their father had gone to be with Jesus? Wouldn't I rather tell them that Christmas is going to be a little bit 'less than normal' this year? Wouldn't I rather tell them that Daddy is going to get to come to their parties at school? and run carpool? and go to ballet? and play boardgames right after school?

So, in an effort to stop focusing so much on ME these days - I am writing out for all the blog world to see the top 10 things (in no particular order) that I am thankful for this season - and always. If you've talked to me lately, I realize that it is all about me. I hate that ... I hate to get off the phone and think that I have dominated the conversation with negative feelings and emotions. This is your happy time of the year - and I'm so sorry if I am bringing you down. If I haven't called you back, it may be because I don't want to talk about it ... but the reality is that it is on the forefront of my mind and somehow ... my conversation always goes back there. [Thank you to my sister who has gotten the brunt of this... her husband called last night to tell me that we spoke on the phone 347 minutes last month - thankfully! we are both on Tmobile - so the minutes are free]


So, here are my thankful items:

*My Health
*My family (extended and immediate)
*My family's Health
*My part-time job that can become full-time anytime I need it to be!
*The bond between my husband and me
*The hope I have in Jesus that he holds our future - and men do not hold it.
* A roof over my head and a warm house
* The laughter that my kids bring me with their innocence and comedy.
* The 24 pounds that I have lost since the end of August.
* Going back to the basics and realizing that we live generously - and learning again what it means to live simply.


We would appreciate your prayers on our behalf. We have some good leads and there are some possibilities out there. It's a timing issue on most accounts ... and timing is much easier to accept than 'not qualified'.

We are celebrating this week at Tommy's parents house for Thanksgiving. Then, we are getting away to Hiawassee to spend the rest of the week 'getting away' with my family at the Big House.


Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

(Thanksgiving last year.....)

5 comments:

ers said...

i love you and i have been praying for you. adam too. and you can call me anytime. it is all about you!
we will also be in Hiawasse for thurs and fri if you need an outlet.

MindyMac said...

Still no news? I'm still praying for you. This has been a very hard year for us too. The economy has a direct effect on Scotty's business, and it's been tough. So you are not alone, and I appreciate the reminder of all that I have to be thankful for!

Mary Hudgins Balicki said...

wow, heather! i'd been wondering what was going on with you - i hate to hear crappy news but will be praying for fruitful, new beginnings.
i can relate in a different way as my nephew was arrested on nov. 10th. my brother and sister-in-law are devastated and in a strange way, it feels like a death. he violated probation so he'll likely serve time. so. . . it's been really hard to be thankful as they grieve and ask the inevitable questions. like, what the heck happened, how did we get here, what went wrong, etc. . .
give tommy my best and love - our prayers are with you guys!!
try to rest and renew this weekend, doll. thank god for that amazing retreat-venue in the quiet mtns.
very thankful for HH,
m

Anonymous said...

Heather, I can't imagine what you guys are going through. You guys are in my prayers. Thank you for being so real. I love your blog b/c of that. You are always honest and real. I look forward to posts revealing the amazing things God has in store for you and your sweet family!
Jennie Pike

Rebekah said...

I think about you guys constantly. What a challenge! I am also facing some challenges and I am amazed how God reveals himself in the valley.

Know that I love you and am praying for you all.

Big Hugs,
Bek