If you have only girls - I don't know how you do it.
We had a little drama with AC in preschool -- with a mean girl.
And - it's kinda happening again. For as hard of a time as I give AC - she does have such a big heart. She is, for the most part, a good friend - and she loves... hard.
After finding out that a friend has decided that on different days of the week -- she will be friends with AC ... and on the other days, AC is not allowed to play with her ---- I freaked.
NOW - if anything in life, I pride myself on being friends with a lot of different people. They may not all look like me. Or be interested in things I do - but I am friends with a lot of different people. Period.
My daughter will NOT tell others that she cannot be thier friend.
My daughter will not BE TOLD that she can't play with a certain person -- on a certain day.
So .... we had a little discussion. It went something like this:
Me: Ok. Here's the deal. You are friends with everybody - everyday. no one tells you when and who to be friends with - no one. You be a good friend. You are a good friend.
A.C.: I know mom. I don't want to be friends with 'x'. She's not nice ...and she hurts my feelings.
Me: Then don't! No one is making you go play with her. You don't have to be MEAN about it - but just go play else where! Play with 'y'!! She's always nice to you.
A.C.: I know mom. I really like to play with 'y' - she is always nice to me.
Me: Ok --so, the new motto ... friends with everybody - everyday.
A.C.: What's a motto?
Me: It's a saying.... it's words to live by ... it's what I want to say to yourself when someone tells you that you can't be friends with them.
friends with everybody - everyday.
Fast Forward to today ---
We are in the car ....
Me: So ... how did the friend thing go today?
A.C.: So good mom.
Me: Really? What happened? Friends with everybody everyday????
A.C.: I went to play with 'x' -- and she said, "I don't want to play with you today"
me: (livid)
A.C.: And - I looked at her and said "Deal"
It was one of the most proud moments in this momma's life.
Friends with Everybody - everyday.
Deal.


5 comments:
I love it! I love her! She is my superhero today... so I guess she just needs to dress up like a "Mean-girl Buster" tomorrow!
What's "x"'s phone number? I want to have a little chit-chat with her... Just "x" to Aunt A. After reading this, I think I will definitely have no choice, but will be a helicopter Mom. Ugh, mean girls break my heart. Give Lou-dy a hug from me!
HOOOOOOORRRRRAAAAAYYYYYYY Annie! and yay mom :)
how wonderful. isn't it wonderful to see your teachings and modeling a good person come out in your kids.
good work momma :O)
and i love the "friends with everybody-everyday.
yes -love it-
uggggg --- so loving how you BOTH handled it!! way to go annie and mom!!!
Post a Comment