Saturday, September 13, 2008

Panic


I do it. I panic. I am an ambulance chaser. I'll readily admit that yes, I have woken up my sleeping child from a nap just to see where a fire truck is going in my neighborhood. People in my neighborhood call me when they hear a firetruck/police car, b/c they know that I will know where it stopped.


So, last night, I'm watching coverage of Ike. I get a phone call from a friend telling me about gas ... I flash to my gas gauge and remember that I never stopped on the way home from errands .... I'm thinking there is going to be a gas shortage, it's going to be $6 a gallon.


*I won't be able to take T to the bus.

*I won't be able to take A to school.

*I won't be able to go to my parent's house tomorrow for my dad's birthday party.

*I won't be able to get to the hospital in an emergency.


So, I go out ...10:30pm - my husband thinks I am a loon. But, I insist ... he offers to go, but no -- I'm the chaser - I have to know what is going on.


And, I was right -- lines, 20 cars deep. My go to spot ... QT .... closed. No gas. So, I drive further -- feeling the panic coming. Thinking about people who are going to be getting in fights at gas stations -- knowing that FOR SURE I am going to hear about a killing in some south Atlanta town b/c someone cut in front of someone else.


So ... $98 later ... my tank is full and I feel like I can take a deep breath.


But, yes --- I am an ambulance chaser, so if you ever want to know about something, you know who to ask.


**BTW, camera is on the fritz ...so, no pictures right now. I'm researching on buying a new one.

5 comments:

Mary Hudgins Balicki said...

have i told you lately how precious you are!?!?!

omg, you didn't really need to give me any new reasons to love you more - but i believe you've done it, even though i would have said it wasn't possible. :) glad you got your gas - i was happy to finally being paying less than a hundred bucks to fill my tank and now, we're there again. grrrrr!!!

i've been away all weekend, being a birthing coach to my bff who delivered at piedmont last night.
see updates at www.adashofgrace.blogspot.com

love and more love,
m

kpb said...

michael witnessed one of those fights at a gas station yesterday, over who go to the pump first . . . 2 grown men! So Crazy!

Shannon said...

hilarious that you have woken a sleeping child to chase a firetruck.. THAT is a serious addiction my friend. but OH so funny!! : )

ers said...

you make me laugh outloud so much. you are my kindred spirit.
and by the way, aj was pretty hot when i went to take off his jacket.

Rebekah said...

Heather,

You are adorable beyond words!! I hear my share of ambulances, sitting here on Ponce in Decatur. From now on, I will think of you and how hog wild you would be to live in the middle of such action.

You would be a busy girl, checking out the neighborhood! Although, I think most often you would follow the flashing lights right down to Dekalb Medical. :) No too exciting. :(

I am glad you found the fuel you needed. Hopefully, the cost will go down soon!! Please, Lord...

Love,
Bek